Pages

Three of my Favorite things to do: cook, eat, and look for new recipes to try! I grew up with a mother that was a great cook and have loved carrying that tradition over into my own home. This is a compilation of recipes that I've tried and liked, where I found them, how I made them, and what I think about them. Cooking is, for me, an expression of love. Enjoy!

Friday, October 26, 2012

Braided sandwich and a fab new salad

This whole dinner came together in a cinch believe it or not!  I didn't start it until 5 and it was on the table by 6:30.  And de. lish. us.  
Same with the sandwich.  It's an old recipe of my moms that I have always loved.  You can fill it with anything you have on hand--leftover roast, deli meat, rotisserie chicken, any type of cheese and/or veggie, and a favorite to add is roasted pineapple!  Or pears or apples!
 
Mix:
3 cups flour
2 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 pkgs rapid rise yeast

Heat to 125 degrees (candy thermometer):
1 cup water
1/4 cup dijon mustard
2 tbsp margarine

Pour liquids into dry ingredients.  Knead, roll into 11x17 rectangle.  Grease pan, spread meat in center 1/3 of dough (lengthwise). Sprinkle cheese and veggies on top of meat. Cut 1 1/2" strips on either side of remaining dough. Fold down top edge of braid. Overlap side strips to the center to braid. At bottom, tuck under ends. Set aside 30 min.  Baste with egg white.  Sprinkle with sesame seeds.  Bake 25 min @ 375.


No comments:

Post a Comment