Pages

Three of my Favorite things to do: cook, eat, and look for new recipes to try! I grew up with a mother that was a great cook and have loved carrying that tradition over into my own home. This is a compilation of recipes that I've tried and liked, where I found them, how I made them, and what I think about them. Cooking is, for me, an expression of love. Enjoy!

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Santa Rosa Rice Salad

I had this gem at a baby shower a couple weeks ago.  It was the perfect Mom's dish: healthy and delicious and light!  I couldn't stop eating it and went straight home, begged for the recipe, and made it and ate the entire thing by myself, it was THAT good!  The dressing is light but tangy, not heavy at all. The snow peas give it the perfect crunch and round it out with a little bitterness.  The chicken gives it body and fills you up and the avocado gives it the perfect cool creaminess.  As you can tell, I am extremely particular about my tastes and textures, and this salad won me over!

SANTA ROSA VALLEY SALAD

 Serves 8

2 boxes Uncle Ben’s Long Grain and Wild Rice, cooked with seasonings
   Juice of 1 lemon
6 chicken breast halves, cooked and cut into pieces
4 - 6 green onions, chopped
1 red bell pepper, diced
3 - 6 ounces Chinese pea pods, ends removed
2 medium avocados, diced
1 cup chopped pecans (can be toasted)
   Lettuce leaves for garnish


 DRESSING:

2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon sugar
¼ teaspoon pepper
1/3 cup seasoned rice wine vinegar
1/3 cup vegetable oil


Combine dressing ingredients in a blender.  Cover and refrigerate.

Mix all salad ingredients except avocados and pecans.  Combine with dressing and refrigerate 2 to 4 hours.  Before serving, add avocados and pecans and garnish with lettuce leaves.

Note:  May be made the day before.





No comments:

Post a Comment