Pages

Three of my Favorite things to do: cook, eat, and look for new recipes to try! I grew up with a mother that was a great cook and have loved carrying that tradition over into my own home. This is a compilation of recipes that I've tried and liked, where I found them, how I made them, and what I think about them. Cooking is, for me, an expression of love. Enjoy!

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Old School Taco salad

Mmmm, my family loves our taco salad!  My mom made it all the time for us as kids and there were never any leftovers!  Ours always had:
Crunchy iceberg (still good for a few-very few-things in life)
Dark red kidney beans
Carrots
Tomatoes
Cucumbers
Grated cheddar cheese
Tortilla chips

Now we were weird and always ate our with Wishbone Russian Dressing.  Like, none of us would even touch a "taco salad" unless there was Russian Dressing to go with it.  And every time we would use an entire bottle, and my mom would bark "THAT'S ENOUGH, look I don't even HAVE any on my salad, the flavor of the meat is good enough!!!" and we would all ignore her and pour another 1/4 cup on our "salad"

Now that having been said, my friend Emily introduced me to taco salad with Catalina dressing.  Gasp!!! But I have to say, it adds a tanginess that the Russian doesn't have.  Russian is more sweet, but it has the bitterness of the celery seed in it that balances it out.  (Yes, I have issues, I can taste the freaking celery seed in a salad dressing full of high fructose corn syrup).  That having been said, they are both delicious, and take me right back to the good ole days around the Blickenstaff family dinner table!

No comments:

Post a Comment