Pages

Three of my Favorite things to do: cook, eat, and look for new recipes to try! I grew up with a mother that was a great cook and have loved carrying that tradition over into my own home. This is a compilation of recipes that I've tried and liked, where I found them, how I made them, and what I think about them. Cooking is, for me, an expression of love. Enjoy!

Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Beef Stew

I pretty much ate everything my mom made growing up, except for a couple things here and there.  First and foremost on the yuck list: beef stroganoff.  Just the name alone gives me the shivers.  I also happen to love a good beef stew, but somewhere along the line I realized that I don't like beef stews that have tomato bases.  Yes, I am very picky.  So as I was scouring the interwebs for tomato-less beef stews, I stumbled across this recipe.  The name threw me off, but when I looked at the ingredients, I thought how bad could it be?  I gave it a try and was very happy.  The first time I made it I even forgot to add the sour cream, and it was still delicious.  
*note: in her actual beef stew recipe, she gives a tutorial on how to add carrots without turning them to mush.  Basically she cuts them up and tosses with oil, salt, and pepper, and wraps them in a foil packet and places that on top of the meat inside the crockpot.  When the meat is finished cooking, add the carrots.  They will be nice and tender yet still retain their texture.

No comments:

Post a Comment