Pages

Three of my Favorite things to do: cook, eat, and look for new recipes to try! I grew up with a mother that was a great cook and have loved carrying that tradition over into my own home. This is a compilation of recipes that I've tried and liked, where I found them, how I made them, and what I think about them. Cooking is, for me, an expression of love. Enjoy!

Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Lettuce wraps

With Jeremy on a no-carb "lifestyle", I try to be nice every once in a while and make something special for him.  I had an idea for lettuce wraps the other day and set to whipping some up for him.  Easy, peasy, and full of flavor!  I looked at a few recipes and then threw together my own.  You can get as creative as you like with this recipe!

Ground turkey or chicken, about 1 pound
Finely diced carrots, celery, and onion (about 2 carrots, 2 stalks of celery, and a small onion)
A few cloves of garlic, minced, a knob of finely chopped ginger if you have it
1/2 can of chopped water chestnuts
Trader Joe's Soyaki Teryaki sauce
Sesame oil
Rice wine vinegar

For wrap assemly:
Romaine or butter lettuce leaves
Optional additions: cooked rice, matchstick cucumbers or fresh carrots, chopped peanuts or cashews, diced green onions

I browned the meat and then added the veggies and just kept the lid on until they softened up.  Added about 1/2 cup of Teryaki sauce, or until it was saucy enough for my liking, then just sprinkled a little vinegar for tang and a tiny bit of oil for some nuttiness.

My kids skipped the lettuce and ate the filling on top of rice.  Everyone was happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment